Xiaomi has announced its latest flagship phone, the Mi 6, at an event in Beijing.
The Mi 6 has a Snapdragon 835 processor, the top-end Qualcomm chip only previously seen in the Samsung Galaxy S8 and announced in the Sony XZ Premium. There’s 6GB of RAM, a 5.15-inch display as seen on the Mi 5, and a 3350mAh battery. Xiaomi is also including a 12-megapixel dual-camera array that takes Apple’s approach of pairing the regular wide-angle lens with one of double the focal length.
Like the iPhone, the Mi 6 includes a bokeh-style photography option, alongside 10x digital zoom, 2x lossless zoom, and optical image stabilization (OIS) technology. Also on board is an under-glass fingerprint sensor on the front.
The most obvious iPhone comparison is that there is no headphone jack on the Mi 6.
The design is similar to the Mi 5 with its curved glass back and metal frame, though Xiaomi is highlighting a distinctive blue and gold colorway and the rear glass panel that curves along all four edges.
Other notable features include dual speakers for stereo audio, improved 2.2 dual Wi-Fi technology, and new screen options that include a new night display and reduce blue ray output.
Xiaomi Mi 6 Full specifications
- 5.15-inch (1920×1080 pixels) Full HD display with 600 nits brightness, 94.4% NTSC color gamut, 1500:1 contrast ratio
- 2.45GHz Octa-Core Snapdragon 835 64-bit 10nm processor with Adreno 540 GPU
- 6GB LPDDR4x RAM with 64GB / 128GB (UFS) internal storage
- Android 7.1.1 (Nougat) with MIUI 8
- Dual SIM (nano + nano)
- Splash resistant
- 12MP rear camera with 1.25μm pixel size, f/1.8 aperture, dual-tone LED flash, 4-axis OIS, 4K video recording, secondary 12MP camera with 1.0 μm pixel size, 52mm portrait lens, f/2.6 aperture
- 8MP front-facing camera
- Ultrasonic Fingerprint sensor, Infrared sensor
- Stereo speakers
- Dimensions: 145.17x 70.49×7.45 mm; Weight: 168g / 182g (ceramic)
- 4G LTE, WiFi 802.11ac dual-band (2×2 MU-MIMO ), Bluetooth 5.0, GPS/GLONASS/Beidou, NFC, USB Type-C
- 3350mAh (typical) / 3250mAh (minimum) battery with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0, 18W fast charging
The entry model — featuring 64 GB of storage — comes in at 2499 RMB, that’s around $360, with a 128 GB option (2899 RMB, $420) and ceramic edition (2999 RMB, $435) completing the range.
The device will be available for sale from April 28 in China. International launch will be intimated later.